Monday, February 27, 2012

2nd Shelf Hummus

I lovingly refer to this as my 2nd shelf hummus because I use almost everything from the 2nd shelf in my fridge.  Again, I don't measure... but here are the ingredients and approximate measurements.

2 cans of garbanzo beans (organic, rinsed)
3 mediumish cloves of garlic
2 palmfuls of cumin
2 tbsp of tahini
juice from one lemon (go with less if you don't like lemon. this is not a problem for me.)
salt (go light on the salt w/ the green olives) and pepper to taste
a handful of green olives
about 6-7 roasted red bell peppers
2 sundried tomatoes
a few handfuls of spinach
2 tbsp of greek yogurt or cottage cheese
Extra virgin olive oil to get it the consistency that you want (I go with about 3-4 tbsp).

Everything gets put in the food processor.  The order I go with is garlic, sundried tomatoes, lemon juice, and seasonings first (to get the garlic and tomatoes finely processed). After that everything else can go in.

I serve this with veggies, tomatoes, feta cheese, and whole wheat pita.  I haven't found anyone yet that doesn't love it. Below, you can see it in a fancy Tupperware container, along with a beer. (The white is feta cheese, the red is roasted peppers. The beer is a Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment