Sunday, August 26, 2012

Mt. Kilimanjaro


Here's what "no person ever" starts off saying when they're about to talk about their lifelong dream of climbing a really big ass mountain: I hate exercising. And it's TRUE... But I guess not the whole truth. So here's the reality: swimming, biking, and hiking sounds like a damn good time. It doesn't sound like exercise. Running sounds like exercise. Gyms sound like exercise. Standing in front of machines, "doing reps," sounds like exercise. Having to see people watching themselves workout and flexing in front of mirrors sounds like exercise... or comedy (/tragedy). 

But tell me that I need to condition before going on vacation, and add "swimming, biking, and hiking" to a list of travel preparations, and I. Am. In. I can get behind that. I need to carry a 30 lb pack 50 miles up and down a mountain? I can do that. That works as motivation.  

I decided a few years ago that I wanted to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, which will from here on be referred to as Kili. It was part of a 5-year travel plan. Australia is in there, and Ireland, too. But some part of my soul really loves Africa, and I feel like my first trip will probably be somewhat life changing. So, why not climb one of the world's seven summits, and have that be my introduction to Africa? Plus, I don't really like the "climbing" part of mountain climbing. So I need a mountain that is big, but walking and hiking steep, not sheered off rock faces steep. I don't mind heights, I just don't trust me on the end of a rope propelling my own body weight up thousands of feet, and I don't imagine I'll ever be climbing Everest. 

So how does one plan a Kili trip? My thought: if the trip is going to be about going to Africa and climbing a mountain, which apparently involves a lot of mental and physical perseverance (though I'm known for not taking anything too seriously), it should probably be about the mountain climbing and then about Africa. 

Step 1 - focus on the climbing.
Step 2 - focus on getting in good enough condition that the climb shouldn't be ridiculously arduous and make me wish for an African death.
Step 3 - what do I need to pack?
Step 4 - how can I climb this mountain and pack as little as possible?
Step 5 - climbing Kili means you go in and out of like 4-5 climates. See Step 4.
Step 6 - who can I talk into this? aka "Who's comin' with me??"
Step 7 - shots? ...a lot of shots. Dammit, Africa.
Step 8 - I don't want to have to completely worry about food and water and tents... must find a guided travel option.
Step 9 - I normally do not require amenities, but some kind of comfort on this climb (in Africa) will probably be required. See Step 8.
Step 10 - after the climb, make it about Africa. I hear the guides expect tips and also ask for used gear from climbers. This is understandable. Bring extras. Schools in the Kili area also receive a lot of supplies and donations from the climbers. Fill extra space in luggage with extra necessities to donate.

See you in 2 or 3 years, Kili. (Please don't kill me.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment